10 SIMPLE STEPS TO START YOUR JOB SEARCH
- Make a list of industries that you want to work in. Narrow this list down to 3 financially sound industries.
- Identify 3 financially sound companies in each of these industries. You now have 9 companies you want to work for and that are in a hiring mode.
- Research job openings in each of the companies. Be sure that you are qualified for and want to apply to these positions.
- Search for a live personal connection in each of the 9 companies. (NOTE: LinkedIn is great for this)
- Research a direct phone number for each one of your personalconnections.
- Call each contact on your list. If you get their voicemail, leave a message asking them to please return your call and to include a convenient time when you can have 5 minutes of their time over the phone.
- Send an email to the same person, following the voicemail. Let them know you left them a voicemail message and that your are following up to try to set up a convenient time for them for the two of you to speak.
- Whenspeaking with your internal contact, ask: “What advice do you have for me on how I can get the opportunity to meet with either HR or the hiring manager for the position I have applied for within their company?”
- Follow up with a thank you email and follow up on their adviceimmediately.
- Do this for each job in each of the 9 companies and you will get to interview for the job you want.
Please note: All or part of this article may be reproduced only if the following bio lines are included, in addition to the live website link.
Debbie Benami-Rahm, M.S., M.H.C., President of DBR Career Services,provides her career expertise to individuals in transition to get “unstuck” and find career fulfillment. Her 25+ years in Human Resources, in 8 different industries gives her the unique ability to work with employers and employees to maximize the value employees bring to their organization. Debbie’s consultation, keynotes, coaching and workshops result in increased employee contentment and engagement and reduced turnover. Debbie can be reached at: info@DBRcareerservices.com. You are invited to visit: www.DBRcareerservices.com.